home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-11-2018, 11:10 AM   #61
K&P
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

As a fan of the original trilogy and of the Expanded Universe books I can honestly say that I have enjoyed the new movies. Sure I can say that they had flaws and areas that can be criticized but by and large I came out of the theatre having been entertained and intrigued about the next installment.

The characters and story that were lost are regrettable but it was always a possibility. In the contractual agreements with Expanded Universe authors Lucas always retained the right to change or delete the Expanded Universe storylines at any time. It seems that Disney and Lucasfilm will continue printing copies of the ‘Legends’ books but will not be continuing the Legends storylines anymore through film or print. So the only new stories produced will be those in the new ‘canon’.

I guess in the end I want to continue enjoying new Star Wars stories so maybe I view the new movies with slightly rose-colored glasses compared to other Expanded Universe fans. But I want to keep spending time in a galaxy far far away...

Last edited by K&P; 07-11-2018 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Typo
K&P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #62
Loro
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobParr View Post
Me too. As things stand at the end of TLJ, we have a (very small) group of rag-tag resistance fighters against a colossal First Order led by a Sith with a Jedi heritage that was turned to the dark side. Basically we're set up for yet another Rogue One/E4 situation, which would fit with Kennedy's penchant for recycling tired story lines.

The reason I was so disappointed in TFA was the writing: it was simply E4 with diversity, nothing new at all. The story was lazily written and entirely derivative of E4 on all major points. TLJ continued the laziness. I do think that most of the actors (particularly Adam Driver) did very well considering what they were given. Rey, however, is a 2D cartoon. All things come instantly easy to her, no training needed, no major defeats to overcome, and virtually no real struggle. Tough to root for her except for the "she's a nice kid" thing.

In regards to TFA, yeah that's what most people mean with the forced diversity angle when it is brought up. I think most fans are completely fine with diversity, as they should be, but not when it seems like the entire movie is literally a rehash of IV with diversity.

I completely agree with you in regards to Rey as well. She is a terribly written character for the reasons you mentioned, with absolutely no depth or reason to pull for. Everything just somehow works out for her, kind of like Bella in Twilight. And I hate Twilight.
Loro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #63
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I remember reading this with a chuckle when it first came out. It's all a matter of perspective!

Alec Guiness in a letter to a friend:

Quote:
I have been offered a movie (20th Cent. Fox) which I may accept, if they come up with proper money. London and N. Africa, starting in mid-March. Science fiction – which gives me pause – but is to be directed by Paul [sic] Lucas who did "American Graffiti, which makes me feel I should. Big part. Fairy-tale rubbish but could be interesting perhaps.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/5974242/alec...e-was-tennyson

There's more at the link.

I get that it's hard when a property's creator doesn't seem to take it with the same seriousness or sense of purpose that its fans do.

Disney gets knocked for that all the time, including their design and management of the parks.

Dirk
Old 07-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #64
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I'm sensing a great disturbance in the force.

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook:
I'd agree that's a bit exaggerated. Social media is ripe for some of this but it's been going on with movie roles for some time. A year or two ago I heard Bruce Dern griping about how he was hated on and career went down the tubes after he played a bad guy that killed John Wayne's character in The Cowboys. John Wayne told him it would happen while they were filming. And - now he's embracing that for a decline in his career. And there's other stories along the way of this happening.

Boyega? What correlation for that since Force Awakens is reported as doing over $2 billion? The purported boycotters would have brought it up to what? 2.00000001 billion?

George Lucas? Well, don't know if that had a lot to do with Star Wars or just a general direction. He did pretty well from that "not fun" thing to do.

Whining fans? See that $2 billion for a single movie?

I feel for the actors that do take negativity because of poor story or directing but that's on the writers and directors, not the actors. Jake Lloyd? Poor kid. Too young to have any sort of idea where things could/would go. And who stepped in to protect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobParr View Post
Some of these are a bit over-postured. There was no actual boycott of the movie over the Boyega casting, merely some Twitter trolls calling for one. As for Ridley and Tico deleting their Instagram accounts...haters gonna hate. If you take Twitter and Instagram posts that personally, perhaps you shouldn't have an account. All Twitter and IG do is provide an amplified forum for idiots, and any user should understand that going in.

Young Anakin I understand a little better, he's just a kid and should be better protected.

Sorry that the Jar-Jar actor had such a tough go of it. Certainly not his fault that he portrayed the character as directed...that one was all on George Lucas.
I saw Ahmed Best on a panel at Star Wars weekend a few years ago. According to Best George Lucas wasn't thinking of Jar Jar in that manner at all until Ahmed decided to come in and play the audition role that way. So, for that one, it might be on him as well as Lucas. At least that's what he was owning for his own part in it then.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:23 PM   #65
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
I
Boyega? What correlation for that since Force Awakens is reported as doing over $2 billion? The purported boycotters would have brought it up to what? 2.00000001 billion?
Just in case some don't believe it, check here.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:42 PM   #66
BobParr
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
I saw Ahmed Best on a panel at Star Wars weekend a few years ago. According to Best George Lucas wasn't thinking of Jar Jar in that manner at all until Ahmed decided to come in and play the audition role that way. So, for that one, it might be on him as well as Lucas. At least that's what he was owning for his own part in it then.
I hadn't heard that, its interesting. Thanks for sharing.
BobParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:50 PM   #67
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion22 View Post

no offense, but are you seriously arguing with people who have all the information and know far more than you do? Other than the fact that Han, Chewie, and Lando are in both movies, there’s nothing that lines up with what had been established. Just trust us..
None taken. But trust you? No. I can make up my own mind on this and really don't need to "trust you." I agree that you have spent far more time with this and know "all the facts"...from the books.

As I said above, and others have said below- the movies are canon. The books are nice for those who want them. Movie concept (as far as I know) came first, books were an after thought.

In addition to the above, there is mention of "doing the Kessel run in 12 parsecs in the Falcon" that is consistent (well, it's consistent between movies, but not with reality as a parsec is a unit of distance, not time ).

If there is anything inconsistent between Solo and the movies, I missed it. If it's just about the books, irrelevant to me. Trust me on this

Cheers.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:30 PM   #68
K&P
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post

In addition to the above, there is mention of "doing the Kessel run in 12 parsecs in the Falcon" that is consistent (well, it's consistent between movies, but not with reality as a parsec is a unit of distance, not time ).
The explanation for using the ‘12 parsecs’ as a boast of how fast the Falcon is relates to the Kessel run involving skirting by a black hole. The faster your ship is, the closer you can fly to the black hole without being sucked in. The closer you can fly to the black hole, the shorter the distance your ship (in this case the Falcon) can complete the Kessel run.

I don’t know if Lucas originally intended this explanation or if it was a clever cover up after the fact.

Last edited by K&P; 07-11-2018 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Clarity
K&P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:47 AM   #69
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&P View Post
The explanation for using the ‘12 parsecs’ as a boast of how fast the Falcon is relates to the Kessel run involving skirting by a black hole. The faster your ship is, the closer you can fly to the black hole without being sucked in. The closer you can fly to the black hole, the shorter the distance your ship (in this case the Falcon) can complete the Kessel run.

I don’t know if Lucas originally intended this explanation or if it was a clever cover up after the fact.
But in effect it has become a running joke in the series that the writers are happy to play along with.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #70
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Just in case some don't believe it, check here.
How is Avatar still at the top of the list?

And Disney properties have 5 of the top 10, and 10 of the top 20! True gorilla in the living room.

Dirk