home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Cruise Line
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-10-2018, 06:05 PM   #81
Aurora
Two Bedroom

We just got back from our Alaska cruise on the Norwegian Pearl. We loved, loved, loved the Pearl. It was so clean and fresh. We had a balcony mini suite and it was the biggest room and balcony weíve had. It was myself, my large husband and large 16 & 19 year old sons. We were never cramped in the room. We loved the anytime dining and ate at the buffet and in the dining rooms. Included in our Costcotravel package was free drinks and free special dining. We had done the Inagrial Disney Cruise to Alaska and I was wishing we had went to Tracy Arm this time to see how the glacier has changed. In Glacier Bay there were lots of bergy bits and growlers but only one iceberg. I loved NCL and would get back on it again tomorrow. We saw the Bliss when we were heading into Juneau and had to wait for it to leave before we could dock in itís spot. Itís huge. Iím glad we went with the smaller Pearl and yet we were so much bigger than most of the other ships we saw. There were lots of kids of all ages on our ship and lots of multigenerational families. The entertainment was alright. About the same as the Princess Cruises weíve done. Nothing compares to Disney in that respect. Because I booked this cruise less than 3 weeks before we left I got our mini suite cheaper than on inside room. Definitely do a balcony in Alaska. I spent many early mornings watching whales. I had booked the land side for our trip up. From our balcony we saw whales, sea otters, seals, hundreds of eagles both bald and golden, salmon jumping out of the way of our ship and we got to watch the pilots and rangers board from our balcony. I highly recommend the Norwegian Pearl.
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:21 PM   #82
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
...I loved NCL and would get back on it again tomorrow. We saw the Bliss when we were heading into Juneau and had to wait for it to leave before we could dock in itís spot. Itís huge. Iím glad we went with the smaller Pearl and yet we were so much bigger than most of the other ships we saw. ...
We were actually in Juneau sitting in the Hanger Bar by where the sea planes doc when you guys were out there waiting for the Bliss. We were on a 100ft Cat with 37 people so all of the liners look big to us. Luckily we came into a doc a coupe of miles north so we didn't have to mix it up with the big boys.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:35 PM   #83
ilphil
Studio

Quote:
We just got back from our Alaska cruise on the Norwegian Pearl. We loved, loved, loved the Pearl. It was so clean and fresh. We had a balcony mini suite and it was the biggest room and balcony weíve had. It was myself, my large husband and large 16 & 19 year old sons. We were never cramped in the room. We loved the anytime dining and ate at the buffet and in the dining rooms. Included in our Costcotravel package was free drinks and free special dining. We had done the Inagrial Disney Cruise to Alaska and I was wishing we had went to Tracy Arm this time to see how the glacier has changed. In Glacier Bay there were lots of bergy bits and growlers but only one iceberg. I loved NCL and would get back on it again tomorrow. We saw the Bliss when we were heading into Juneau and had to wait for it to leave before we could dock in itís spot. Itís huge. Iím glad we went with the smaller Pearl and yet we were so much bigger than most of the other ships we saw. There were lots of kids of all ages on our ship and lots of multigenerational families. The entertainment was alright. About the same as the Princess Cruises weíve done. Nothing compares to Disney in that respect. Because I booked this cruise less than 3 weeks before we left I got our mini suite cheaper than on inside room. Definitely do a balcony in Alaska. I spent many early mornings watching whales. I had booked the land side for our trip up. From our balcony we saw whales, sea otters, seals, hundreds of eagles both bald and golden, salmon jumping out of the way of our ship and we got to watch the pilots and rangers board from our balcony. I highly recommend the Norwegian Pearl.
We did Alaska on the Pearl in May 2016. I won't say that the Pearl became our favorite ship, but for an itinerary like Alaska it was fine. Being roughly half the cost for our party of 4 adults (1 balcony cabin, 1 inside cabin right across the corridor) compared to DCL (1 cabin with veranda) made it easier to accept dinners that weren't quite as nice and not having some of the little Disney extras.

The Pearl will always have a special place in our hearts because it was the last cruise my mother-in-law made with us. Four months after we got home she was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and was gone less than a month later.
ilphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:23 PM   #84
Aurora
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilphil View Post
The Pearl will always have a special place in our hearts because it was the last cruise my mother-in-law made with us. Four months after we got home she was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and was gone less than a month later.
Iím so sorry for your loss. We lost my dad over 4 years ago and my mom just under 2 years ago, right after we got back from our DCL Norway cruise. Itís tough. Dad was 5 days from the word cancer and Mom was 10 days from the word cancer. It still hurts every day even if we tried to live life with no regrets and loved them well.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:30 PM   #85
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Thank you for your review of the Pearl!! This is so great to hear. Did you get a good rate booking last minute? How about airfare? Thatís what keeps me from waiting for the last minute specials.

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:01 PM   #86
Aurora
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
Thank you for your review of the Pearl!! This is so great to hear. Did you get a good rate booking last minute? How about airfare? Thatís what keeps me from waiting for the last minute specials.
Great rate! Everything including all tips was about $6k to NCL. We drove to Seattle and parked at Seattle CruisePark. They shuttled us to and from and it was way easier than most people had at the dock.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:15 PM   #87
ilphil
Studio

Quote:
Iím so sorry for your loss. We lost my dad over 4 years ago and my mom just under 2 years ago, right after we got back from our DCL Norway cruise. Itís tough. Dad was 5 days from the word cancer and Mom was 10 days from the word cancer. It still hurts every day even if we tried to live life with no regrets and loved them well.
Thank you Aurora. It has been really hard on my wife. Her and her mom were more like sisters than mother & daughter.
ilphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #88
nicsmom
Grand Villa

HAL, Seattle to Seattle cruise/tour. 7 days at sea then 3-4 days on land.
Has anyone done this? I like the fact that the package ends back in Seattle. It starts in Seattle with a bus trip to Vancouver to begin the cruise. I would really. LOVE a review of this cruise tour! TIA.
nicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:57 AM   #89
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicsmom View Post
HAL, Seattle to Seattle cruise/tour. 7 days at sea then 3-4 days on land.
Has anyone done this? I like the fact that the package ends back in Seattle. It starts in Seattle with a bus trip to Vancouver to begin the cruise. I would really. LOVE a review of this cruise tour! TIA.
THIS!!! I am cruising HAL next April to get a feel for the cruiseline. If we love it, the next cruise will be the above, leaving and returning to Seattle.

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:49 AM   #90
PecosBill
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Glacier Bay is a must see for me, which is why I prefer not to use DCL for Alaska.
Princess because they do Alaska best. The most ships and itineraries, the two Princess Lodges in Danali, the best excursion programs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflatto View Post
Just for reference, we were on Royal Carribean's Radiance of the Seas to Alaska a few years ago, and Royal ships are not able to go to Glacier Bay. If we do Alaska cruise again, we will use a different cruise line.
We just came off an amazing trip to Yellowstone. Trying to decide where we can go next that could even come close to topping it. Alaska is the only place I can think of.

We started to look at DCL but the prices and itineraries are just not that appealing. We have some friends booked next summer on Royal Caribbean. We might go along with them, just because itís better to cruise with friends. But Iím not too wild about the RCI itinerary either.

Ideally I would like to take the Princess land/sea package that includes the cruise, train and Danali lodges. But I need to save up for that one.

So, do we go with our friends just to go; and then hope we can save enough to go back later and do it right?. Or do we just hold off a year or two and do it right the first time?
PecosBill is offline   Reply With Quote