home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-28-2018, 09:18 PM   #51
richviii
One Bedroom

While the bungalows at points do seem to be booked, other than July 4th - looking at the last minute getaways, they are OPEN except July 4th, July 22-24 and Aug 20-22 for summer.

Recent
2018 Jan - Swan & Dolphin, Apr - BCV, July - Disneyland, Sept - BLT 2017 Apr- BWV/BLT, Aug - VGC and Aulani, Dec - BWV & BLT 2016 Dec- BLT, Dec - Disneyland, Aug - Disney CX Summit - GF, Apr - BWV/BTL, 2015 - Nov - BWV/S&D, June - Off-Site, Apr - Contemporary/Off-Site, Feb - S&D, Jan 15 - Off-Site, 2014 - Nov - BLT, Aug - Off-Site, May - Off-Site, Mar - Off-Site, 2013 - Nov - Off-Site, Jun - Off-Site, 2012 Nov - Off-Site
richviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #52
hilaw
Grand Villa

When you get an Aulani pool wristband, they give DVC members a wider shiny one, and other guests a mono-colored, skinny one. You can tell the owners from other guests.
I've often wondered why they do this. Some marketing strategy, making owners feel special?
hilaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #53
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaw View Post
When you get an Aulani pool wristband, they give DVC members a wider shiny one, and other guests a mono-colored, skinny one. You can tell the owners from other guests.
I've often wondered why they do this. Some marketing strategy, making owners feel special?
It is a marketing ploy. Yes, it creates a difference between one person and the next at the pool. Hopefully the person with the less impressive band (the thin, flat-colored band) will ask the person with the perceived "better band" about the difference. In this way, DVC ownership is mentioned in "normal conversation" (not contrived at all, right??). This form of peer-to-peer testimonial is often quite effective in driving sales.

I believe it falls under the larger sales umbrella of "take away" to stir emotions and generate a feeling of "need."

Sneaky mouse.
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:07 PM   #54
luaulei321
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I wish that having the shiny band meant that you didnít have to dig out your member card for discounts. I always thought that the plastic-looking non-member bands were a better material than the paper-like member ones. The thinner size also means you get a thinner tan line. That said, we always take the member ones.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:24 PM   #55
luaulei321
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
You and me have nothing better to do than compare bands, hah!
I always take the thinner, more comfortable one.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:37 AM   #56
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by luaulei321 View Post
I wish that having the shiny band meant that you didnít have to dig out your member card for discounts. I always thought that the plastic-looking non-member bands were a better material than the paper-like member ones. The thinner size also means you get a thinner tan line. That said, we always take the member ones.
So, the thicker your tan line, the more social status you have?

How about chair-side food and drink service for members only? That would surely get the conversations started!

Dirk
Old 06-30-2018, 11:34 AM   #57
nrspepe
Two Bedroom

I believe it’s the economy. For many years, due to the economic turndown and long recovery, those wishing to book past 7 months enjoyed good availability. We got spoiled. There were many distressed contracts and the owners who simply held on could not afford air fare, park tix and food.

Now that contracts are at a premium and people have money to spend, availability is tight. Aulani may play a small role. But, it’s mainly an economic effect.
nrspepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:05 PM   #58
npunited6
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
It is a marketing ploy. Yes, it creates a difference between one person and the next at the pool. Hopefully the person with the less impressive band (the thin, flat-colored band) will ask the person with the perceived "better band" about the difference. In this way, DVC ownership is mentioned in "normal conversation" (not contrived at all, right??). This form of peer-to-peer testimonial is often quite effective in driving sales.

I believe it falls under the larger sales umbrella of "take away" to stir emotions and generate a feeling of "need."

Sneaky mouse.
No one in the world does this as well as Disney, that's for sure.
npunited6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:48 PM   #59
FCivish3
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks_63 View Post
They may decide to do a point re-distribution for the Poly, if Bungalows continue to be under utilized.

Goldi
But the contract specifies that changes in points must be Point Neutral over all, within each separate resort. So in other words if they lower the points price of the poly Bungalows then they must raise the points price for all the studios. This means that in order to correct their mistake, studios will become more point expensive, and the Bungalotws will become less expensive. Since it seems that about 25% of the poly points are tied up in the Bungalows that could have a massive affect overall. Doesn’t sound like a good idea to me.

Poly, AKL, BLT

Last edited by FCivish3; 08-11-2018 at 09:38 PM.
FCivish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:50 PM   #60
FCivish3
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
They could buy back the excess points at $200/pt and reduce the bungalows...
That would be a great solution. But do you really see Disney doing that? Only if the owners force them to do it.

Poly, AKL, BLT
FCivish3 is offline   Reply With Quote