home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-11-2018, 02:32 PM   #11
Fmer55
Add-on Aficionado

We only use DME when with newbies. We also donít use checked bags. That said, a car service or Uber gets you from wheels down to your room in 45 minutes. In a comfortable quiet ride with no stops. And now Uber can pick up at the arrival terminals. $57 for a premium SUV. A no brainer if time challenged. We always do 4 or 5 day trips and our time is valuable.

DH, me(Mike)MOD136, DW DD11DD8
Fmer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:05 PM   #12
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
Iíve seriously never seen anything like that! The lines for DME were backed up almost to the baggage claim area! Well, we were at the last baggage claim belt at one point. Just nuts!
Ours took about an hour if I remember just to get through the line. It was hot (May) and humid. We were none to pleased with the wait. Any amount is almost worth not having to deal with that again to us. Even my penny pinching husband goes "no MDE" and pays for a car.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:52 PM   #13
Princess Mom
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
the NJEA Convention is Nov 8-9 so that will be the end of the Jersey Week. However, Monday, Nov 12 will be Veterans Day holiday. My bet is that Saturday won't be as bad as it could be otherwise. The Jersey folk will already be there and will have no need to head home until Sunday or Monday.

Dirk
We will be there for Jersey week this year. We and a couple other families will all head home on the 10th. Those Sunday flights are too expensive and I don't know any NJ school in our area taking off Monday as well. I'm sure departures will be a zoo!
Princess Mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:07 PM   #14
patty57
Two Bedroom

In May, we walked to the DME line for BWV in time to see the bus pull away. We walked out of line, and got a Lyft. It's so worth the $30 or so to get going and not wait 20-30 minutes for the bus, and then wait while the bus fills up, and then leaves and drops off at other resorts etc. etc. The last time it happened where we walked up to see the bus pull away, we waited it out. It took over 2 1/2 hours before we were at the resort. Not worth it.
patty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:35 PM   #15
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

The last two times we took a car service were just that the "last two times ever" in Orlando

1. Drove us from the resort to the port.... drove incredibly fast and dangerously (cutting people off etc) while he and his wife had a fight over the phone. (Take your kids to Disney so they can learn to curse LOL!) We called the company and they claimed "he's one of our best drivers " (we rented a car for the return and avoided unhappy)

2. The next guy was furious with us that the plane was late and complained loudly about how we had messed up his entire day. He did not bother to help with luggage, never said one "nice" word to us after complaining constantly and then had his hand out for a tip. (Here's my tip, you get more with honey than vinegar)

And then there was the time I was at the gas station across from the Boardwalk and the driver in line behind me was screaming that he was going to be late for his 2PM pick up because of the long line..... Of course he was going to be late, he got in line at the gas station at 2:15 PM.... LOL!

After that I quit using them it's DME or a rental car. I would consider Uber just haven't felt the need. I use Uber elsewhere in Orlando with no problems.

I use a professional nationwide car service in Atlanta so I asked them why they weren't in Orlando. They claim that practically anyone can get a license creating a lot of unqualified low-price competition and it's just not profitable.
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #16
Loro
Grand Villa

Stick the tags on your bags (if you checked any) to get them to the resort, and take an uber/lyft.
Loro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:41 PM   #17
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

If time is a concern Iíd opt for Uber/Lyft. $35-$40, not bad at all.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #18
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Mom View Post
We will be there for Jersey week this year. We and a couple other families will all head home on the 10th. Those Sunday flights are too expensive and I don't know any NJ school in our area taking off Monday as well. I'm sure departures will be a zoo!
They aren't getting. Veteran's Day off? I think Freehold is, but I may be wrong. Of course, in NJ, I'm shocked any time there is an actual school day. I believe there are only five 5-day school weeks this fall.

Well, in that case, yeah, 11/10 - avoid at all costs!

Dirk
Old 07-12-2018, 08:55 AM   #19
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loro View Post
Stick the tags on your bags (if you checked any) to get them to the resort, and take an uber/lyft.
And pray they don't get lost because a if they do.... Disney will go "well you didn't tell us you had bags so...." and the airline will go "well you missed the filing deadline for lost bags"

I do know one person who had to take a taxi back to MCO to pick up her luggage from the airline. Disney did let her take DME back to her resort with her luggage but since she had not taken it in the first place they were unwilling to deal with her delayed/lost luggage.
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:09 AM   #20
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I haven't had bad luck with DME in many years. We did wait about 30 minutes to board the bus for a Thanksgiving Day arrival in 2006, but it wasn't bad other than that.

Our last trip, the line emptied just before we got in. I thought, "Oh, crap." But they had us on another bus in about 5 minutes and then we pulled out 15 minutes later. Makes me wonder if they don't run enough busses on busy days, because it does seem that they can get people on the next bus pretty quickly when they want to - but it's always been a light day for us.

My only experience with car service has been Happy Limo to Port Canaveral and from SSR to MCO. Both went off without a hitch with great drivers. In Philly, I did get snarled at by a driver for not letting him know we would be late. Uhm, this is why I gave your company the flight number. We were in a 2 hour holding patter. There really wasn't anything I could do . . .

If they pull that attitude on me, I'm getting an Uber or cab and I'll dispute any pre-payments or charges with the credit card company.

Dirk