home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old Today, 07:54 PM   #291
Olaf2018
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

This was a complete failure on so many levels of Disney that it is quite shocking!!!! The reason people were calling 911 was because Disney wasn't giving any information about how long the ride would take to resume normal service. Don't blame the people calling 911, when they have been stuck on a ride for over 30 minutes with no communication from the CM's. Why shouldn't they call 911 when Disney fails to give a reasonable time for a supposiblity safe form of travel to fix a situation that might occur at anytime. They have no excuse for what happened and haven't given one either after the event happened, at least reasonable one. Disney shouldn't be beta testing on paying guests!
Olaf2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:47 PM   #292
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Normally I find your posts to be level headed, but I'm getting a defensive vibe here. And a lack of sympathy truthfully. Blaming people for calling 911 is not okay IMO. The three calls I read about weren't over reactions.

I think a little understanding would go a long way to those who are not able bodied as you are. Consider yourself lucky is all I'll say now.
My posts were defensive and reactionary to things I’ve read that weren’t necessarily posted here. I shouldn’t have done that, and I do apologize. Likewise, I truly don’t mean to minimize the challenges people with anxiety disorders go through. I find the older I get, the more OCD I am and I have no doubt I would not have been a happy camper, at all, and quite relieved when things started moving. And that is, I’m sure, only the tip of the iceberg for someone who deals with anxiety or has a panic attack. And I know panic attacks have really physiological affects that threaten a person’s health.

I’m also frustrated with the level of suspicion and negativity I’ve read here and on other boards about the gondolas in general. I honestly find them, in terms of confinement risk and “trapped” risk, to be no different than monorails or an elevator.

Again, I am absolutely not excusing Disney for the accident or there response.

You sound like someone who is very aware of their limitations, their needs, and how to cope and make adjustments, so I don’t mean to belittle you at all.

I do believe that the gondolas might not be a good form of transportation for people who have concerns about them, just like I believe the same thing for people with fear of flying and planes, motion sickness and friendship boats, or anxieties around the monorail.

There is no way that Disney is going to be experienced with gondolas until they are experienced with gondolas, and I fully anticipate some rough patches along the way. (I certainly wouldn’t have anticipated this, though.) I don’t believe any of those rough patches are going to put people’s lives in jeopardy, but I also know that doesn’t minimize the discomfort or anxiety somebody might feel if they are the ones in the gondolas during such an incident.

Waiting until they’ve proven themselves somewhat might well be the best thing to do for someone with concerns.

At the same time, Disney must do better to both clarify what the experience will be like (thus the signage now that gondolas will occasionally stop for loading needs) and improve their communication. The communication aspect should have been thought of beforehand.

If they can’t do that, then they shouldn’t be running the gondolas or any more of transportation. I have confidence they will get there as they discover what is needed.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:31 PM   #293
mouseman
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
My posts were defensive and reactionary to things...

Dirk
What? Yankee? defensive? No way.