home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Oh, No, They Didn't!!!!! (Guests Behaving Badly)
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-02-2017, 11:25 AM   #41
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Transit View Post
Eventually they'll all die off...
More likely develop dementia symptoms before they do. Smoking, the gift that keeps on giving.

Dirk
Old 10-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #42
carolina_yankee
Administrator

escalating issues in a thread by name calling is more obnoxious to me than smokers on a balcony . . .

When Disney first started the no-balcony-smoke rules, I remember reports of security and CMs wandering the grounds, taking notes of who was smoking, and then billing them. They've obviously stopped doing that. I can't honestly say I've ever encountered a balcony smoker or a room that has smelled like smoke. If I did, it was so fleeting that it didn't make an impact.

That said, if you have an issue, I don't see why addressing it directly and politely with the person can't be the first solution. People are usually responsive to that, and smokers are surely used to it. If they get all peevy, then simply take their picture while doing it and share it with the front desk. I agree that calling the call center will likely not get you anywhere. Unfortunately, it will require a front desk trip to get somebody's attention. A photo at least offers proof that it happened.

It takes real chutzpah for someone to continually break the rules after somebody has complained. It happens, I know, but it's also extremely rare.

Dirk
Old 10-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #43
dsquarednz
One Bedroom

Let me clarify some points:

We see and smell smokers outside of designated areas constantly - perhaps we are more sensitive to the smell? This morning, I walked out on my balcony to check the weather and immediately saw a man walking along the pathway smoking. He then stopped in front of our building to finish his cigarette.

Yesterday, a woman lit up while leaving DHS and smoked all the way to her bus stop, where she stopped to smoke.

At the AKV, there were ashes on our balcony (which faced animals) when we checked in.

At Beach Club, one guy was smoking right in front of the main entrance, despite being yards away from the designated area. Another one smoked on his patio, despite being feet away from the deisgnated area.

There are no excuses for smoking on balconies or patios. The rules are clear, and it is incredibly rude to neighboring rooms and people who have the room next. I don't care if it a long walk. I also don't care if someone is "close enough" to the smoking area, esp if they are on their patio.

And yes, I will continue to call in each one because every time I have uttered the words "that is not a smoking area", I get a fight back. Because these people know the rules and already don't care. But, yeah, super close to putting out those mini fires with a spray bottle...
dsquarednz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:35 PM   #44
SSRownerInNY
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I've smelled people smoking more than just cigarettes at the hotels. I even smelled it once at Epcot by the England pavilion. There was a group of people just standing there passing a joint while listening to the band playing. I was very annoyed because there were children around, including mine. So I told a security guard but I have no idea what happened with that.
SSRownerInNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:37 PM   #45
John2247
Two Bedroom

In talking with a cast member at the Wilderness Lodge a couple of years ago, she said they rarely charge anyone unless they actually smoke in their room. They do call and remind them of the "no smoking" policy if they get complaints from other patrons. She said you would be surprised at the number of people who claim ignorance and say they didn't realize there was a policy.

At the Wilderness Lodge you can see some people smoking on their balcony, but most go to the designated smoking areas.

I was surprised when we stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge that the smoking area was right in the path of where most people walked to get to the buses. That was a few years ago, so they might have relocated it.

John
Old 10-02-2017, 12:38 PM   #46
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsquarednz View Post

We see and smell smokers outside of designated areas constantly - perhaps we are more sensitive to the smell? This morning, I walked out on my balcony to check the weather and immediately saw a man walking along the pathway smoking. He then stopped in front of our building to finish his cigarette.

Yesterday, a woman lit up while leaving DHS and smoked all the way to her bus stop, where she stopped to smoke.

At the AKV, there were ashes on our balcony (which faced animals) when we checked in.

At Beach Club, one guy was smoking right in front of the main entrance, despite being yards away from the designated area. Another one smoked on his patio, despite being feet away from the deisgnated area.

There are no excuses for smoking on balconies or patios. The rules are clear, and it is incredibly rude to neighboring rooms and people who have the room next. I don't care if it a long walk. I also don't care if someone is "close enough" to the smoking area, esp if they are on their patio.

And yes, I will continue to call in each one because every time I have uttered the words "that is not a smoking area", I get a fight back. Because these people know the rules and already don't care. But, yeah, super close to putting out those mini fires with a spray bottle...
I believe from resorts I have been at smoking areas are outside the building, so the man who finished in front of 'your' building could have very well been in a smoking area.
Seems your sensitivity is not to the actual smoke, more like it just bothers you. Something tells me you get a "fight back" because it may be your approach if your posts are anything similar to how you speak to someone smoking.
As far as ashes on the balcony, then mouskeeping did not do a good job cleaning.

Last edited by Disney54us; 10-02-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:42 PM   #47
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Again, they were on their porch smoking. Not ok.
I'm sorry I saw you say they were 5 steps away and to me that's not that big of a deal. I'd want to be moved if I were that close to the smoking area.

I am sympathetic to those who don't like smoke. I hate it myself and it causes my sinuses to clog up very quickly. I will report it if it's truly out of the rules if I cannot ask the people to move myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
That said, if you have an issue, I don't see why addressing it directly and politely with the person can't be the first solution. People are usually responsive to that, and smokers are surely used to it. If they get all peevy, then simply take their picture while doing it and share it with the front desk. I agree that calling the call center will likely not get you anywhere. Unfortunately, it will require a front desk trip to get somebody's attention. A photo at least offers proof that it happened.

It takes real chutzpah for someone to continually break the rules after somebody has complained. It happens, I know, but it's also extremely rare.

Dirk
I agree that you can ask kindly first if possible. Sometimes the way the balconies are set up you can see the smoke coming to you but you cannot see/talk to the people (like if they are above you). In that case we have called. Otherwise I think asking is the right thing to do.

In general I don't run into much trouble at Disney. While there are some smokers out there I see it decreasing more as a whole in general. I run into it very infrequently now.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:47 PM   #48
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
More likely develop dementia symptoms before they do. Smoking, the gift that keeps on giving.

Dirk
Or they could be from the gene pool of my mother

80 years old, lifetime heavy smoker and her MD keeps saying "someday it's going to cause problems" (Of course he admitted, "but she's probably one of those people who is going to prove me wrong and live to 100" )
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:50 PM   #49
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Maybe if you didn't appoint your self the "watch dog" your trip would be more enjoyable?

Seriously it sounds like you spend an inordinate amount of time fighting a battle that doesn't impact you (Do you really think Disney is going to chase down the guest who "dared" to light a smoke near you?)

But when you start attacking with the spray bottle that's going to be fun. (It's called assault and the smoker won't be the one in trouble!)
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:54 PM   #50
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I'd want to be moved if I were that close to the smoking area.
Seems like this should be a room request during online check in. Smokers could request "near smoking area" and non smokers could request " away from smoking area". As the parent of a daughter with asthma (worsened by smoke), I would chose that option over "upper floor" or "near the elevator".