home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-29-2017, 04:06 PM   #1
cornbread4
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default banking/borrowing suspension- has it ever happened?

I was reviewing the Home Resort Rules & Regulations and saw an interesting clause:

Banking or Borrowing may be suspended or limited by DVC Operator from time to time in order to maintain a proper balance of Home Resort Vacation Points in the Club’s central reservation system.

I'm curious- does anyone recall this ever being used system wide or at a particular resort when point usage got out of whack?

Past action or lack there of is no guarantee of future action, but I'm interested in any historical details.
cornbread4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:08 PM   #2
Hookdonwdw

No, but I remember a lot of conjecture that this may happen as resorts enter their last years to prevent imbalance.
Hookdonwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:10 PM   #3
Quellman
Two Bedroom

How crazy, but I can see why it would be there. DVC knows how many points they need for any given year. Having more points in a 365 window than rooms available for use would probably violate some Florida time share law and also leave a lot of unhappy people.
2002 DLHotel, 2010 SSR, 2011 SSR, 2012 DCL Magic, DLParis, BLT, 2013 VB, 2014 DCl Fantasy, BLT 2015 POP, BLT 2016 DCL Dream B2B, BLT 2017 PVB, DCL Fantasy(B2B), YC, BLT
Quellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:19 PM   #4
disney65
Grand Villa

Agree with previous poster, this clause may be in place for last few yrs of ownership to prevent some one using it up before the contract expires and others do not get chance to use it properly.

My Trip Reports

Photobucket has disabled 3rd party hosting, so none of the photos are visible, will move to some other site soon.

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:23 PM   #5
cornbread4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quellman View Post
How crazy, but I can see why it would be there. DVC knows how many points they need for any given year. Having more points in a 365 window than rooms available for use would probably violate some Florida time share law and also leave a lot of unhappy people.
It does seem like a good fit for enforcing point balance as the end dates come up.

For normal operation, banking and borrowing combines with variable point values and the seven month window at other resorts to help provide a release valve for the pressure that would build up from reservations filling up. Further, while you can bank points forward up to 8 months into UY, you can only borrow to use on an actual reservation.

For all its complexity in the system design, I really like the flexibility it gives us. And it's been tried and tested for years.
cornbread4 is offline   Reply With Quote