home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > WELCOME TO THE DVC BOARDS AT MOUSEOWNERS.COM > Welcome to the Forums!
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-18-2017, 04:56 PM   #11
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne_Draves View Post
Thank you!

I usually stay in the cheap seats, that's how we afford to be AP.

Looking to do it up right this time! Let's face it... I put in 20 years - I think I deserve a little deluxe. LOL.
We did that for our 25th. I like to resort hop, so we did 3 nights at BRV, 3 nights at VGF, and 2 nights at AKL. It was like 3 vacations in one!
Old 09-18-2017, 06:00 PM   #12
ajc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne_Draves View Post
Thank you!

I usually stay in the cheap seats, that's how we afford to be AP.

Looking to do it up right this time! Let's face it... I put in 20 years - I think I deserve a little deluxe. LOL.
My husband and I did a WDW trip for our 25th anniversary 6 yrs ago and we had a happy coincidence to visit during F&W (which we never knew about).
We stayed at Coronado Springs and upgraded to the business class booking for access to a club house that included continental breakfast and evening snacks with free wine, beer, and sangria included for only $20 a day more with discounts for AP holders. We took a DVC tour and pulled the trigger on a AKL 100 point membership and have been thrilled with our membership.
Now we have add-on-itis and have bought 2 other small contracts on secondary market and waiting for ROFR on a fourth now.
On a point cost exchange you can rent for $15 to 16/point and that translates to about $135 for AKL value weekday off season studio to $385 for grand Floridian studio off season weekend.

WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME, these are the best people in the world!

Last edited by ajc; 09-19-2017 at 10:54 AM.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:35 PM   #13
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Welcome aboard.
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:39 PM   #14
avsheffi
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Transit View Post
We figured that we spent more money paying cash (rack rates) for our first 5 trips to WDW than we spent for our DVC contracts. We really wish we'd have done it sooner.
Yes, I agree. We made 10+ trips before we finally purchased DVC. We could've bought our contracts for less than what we spent on value and moderates. We now have four contracts and have never regretted it!

avsheffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:44 AM   #15
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

Welcome! This is the friendliest, most DVC knowledgeable group around on the web.

I like DVC. We have two contracts, Poly & BCV. After trying just about every DVC at WDW, these are consistently our favorite resorts. Both are small contracts, both because smaller contracts cost less up front (even if they are more $ per point than large contracts) and because if we ever want to resale, smaller contracts go faster & for better prices typically.

I may be in the minority at MO because while I really enjoy WDW, I also like spending time in the other parks in the Orlando area. Universal, SeaWorld and Legoland are a ton of fun. So we usually stay at other, non-Disney properties for our longer Orlando trips and save our DVC for weekend trips.

It is harder to justify DVC as a cost savings when compared to off-site prices. For example, I recently booked a week at a HGVC three bedroom one block from SeaWorld for June 2018 for less than $300 per night. But it means leaving the Disney bubble, which does give trips a whole different flavor.

Quick Links:
Amy's Disney books: Camping Disney and A Year of Disney. Both books were inspired by my Mouseowners Trip Reports. For more on the books plus blog posts, photos and videos, check out my new blog: ThemeParkBooks.
MinnieMomofOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:58 AM   #16
AnnaS
Grand Villa

Welcome to MO!

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:02 AM   #17
Anne_Draves
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudieHopps View Post
DVC is a great way to go if you consider repeat visits. You can't go wrong. You really have to decide how you plan to travel. It took us a few years to make a informed descision. Now, there is no looking back and wish we had done it sooner, but timing is everything. The AP just works with it all too, especially if you buy direct. Resale rocks. Work both into your decision perhaps.
Do the math!
Good luck!
Agreed! When I'm not at Disney, I crunch numbers for fun! Out of curiosity, please tell me about resale...I've not delved into that yet. How does it work?
Anne_Draves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:35 AM   #18
Anne_Draves

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
We did that for our 25th. I like to resort hop, so we did 3 nights at BRV, 3 nights at VGF, and 2 nights at AKL. It was like 3 vacations in one!
I've never done the Resort Hop, but I've thought about it. Isn't it a lot of trouble to pack up every few days?
Old 09-19-2017, 10:36 AM   #19
Anne_Draves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Welcome aboard.
Thank you, Brian
Old 09-19-2017, 10:36 AM   #20
Anne_Draves