home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #11
DougEMG
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoneous View Post
Most overrated factor: Use Year

Most underrated factor: Loaded vs Stripped
Old 06-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #12
OttawaWendy
DVC Board Guide

I am not a fan of one-size-fits-all "buy where you want to stay" advice.

Some resorts are more expensive to buy and to maintain than others. (Maintenance fees are a bigger aspect of cost over the life of a contract than purchase price). So if you are going to buy a more expensive product, there should be a reason.

Those reasons exist, but not for every single buyer.

Reasons to Buy Where You Want to Stay

1. Booking Related Reasons

There are some resorts, seasons and villa types where you need the 11 month booking window. These include
  • VGC at all times
  • HHI during the summer
  • VB during the summer, or if you consistently want the 3 bedroom cottages
  • Any particular resort during Christmas, New Year's, July 4 etc. (You will get a resort for these times at 7 months, but you won't have choice)
  • BLT cheap view and some other times
  • AKV Value or Concierge (any time)
  • OKW GVs
  • BCV and BWV during Food and Wine

I'm not saying that outside of these examples you will always find availability at 7 months. Nor am I saying the converse, that these will never be available at 7 months. And I'm not saying this list is closed. But there are some more "in demand" times/villas/locations than others, and the above are situations in which you will often want/need the 11 month booking window.

So, a good reason to buy where you want to stay is:

1. You need the 11 month booking window
2. You can plan ahead and have the ability to use an 11 month booking window.

2. Emotional Reasons

Some people worry more than others. Some people love to plan and being unable to book where they want would make them do this: Some people are committed to only one resort, or only a couple of resorts, and would be really unhappy if they stayed somewhere else. For these people too, buying where they want to stay is good advice.

Reasons to Buy Where It is Cheapest

If you are a last minute planner, or are consistently looking for something that is generally available (if OKW is your favourite, or if you want AKV Savannah, and you have no intention of travelling in the holidays), there is no need to pay a premium for specialty points.

2. Emotional Reasons

If you like all the resorts and don't have a need to stay in only one or two places or if you would be happy to stay at your home resort, but are willing to see what's available at 7 months, then buying where it is cheapest may fit your temperment. To put it another way, "buy where you want to stay" only makes sense if you have a singular "where you want to stay". Likewise, if you like the idea of getting a good deal, buying where it is cheapest may meet your needs.

3. Economic Reasons

If money is an issue, then I think you owe it to yourself to really figure out how many points you can buy and maintain at different places. Despite all the advice above, even if you would really prefer BCV because you want Food and Wine, if you can only afford enough points for 4 nights a year in a studio in Dream Season, you might actually prefer to buy somewhere less expensive and get enough points for 8 or 9 nights.

Two final points:

1. Someone will likely say, in reference to the discussion about times of travel, that you can't predict what your travel patterns will be in the future. I think that may be true (although some people simply know because of their professions that they can't book with 11 months notice) but I also think some people's preferences about resort and villa types may change as well.

2. The reason I react to "buy where you want to stay" as the always best advice is because it suggests that people think that I, or anyone who bought where it was cheapest, made a bad decision. I don't think I have made a bad decision, for me. I got more points than I would have gotten at a more expensive resort, and I've had fantastic luck getting into many resorts at 7 months. Both approaches can be valid.

OttawaBoy's birth announcement and hospital support thread - good to read if you need a cry
OttawaWendy's views on "buy where you want to stay" versus "buy where it's cheapest"
Previous trip reports:
December 2009 - AKV and SSR; March 2010 - HHI; December 2010 - Kidani; January 2013 - Boardwalk Villa (OB = 19 months); November 2013 - AKL (OB = 31 months)

Last edited by OttawaWendy; 06-16-2012 at 12:26 PM.
OttawaWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
ovalhead96
Grand Villa

Default agree

Quote:

I'd pay a couple $ a point for a loaded contract.

Also if you buy stripped, you may pay mfs for a year you don't even get to enjoy.

take your time.

My first contract was semi stripped. not extras. probably could have saved a few $ per point or waited for the same deal with lots of points to use
Old 06-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
jedwards
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaWendy View Post
I am not a fan of one-size-fits-all "buy where you want to stay" advice.

Some resorts are more expensive to buy and to maintain than others. (Maintenance fees are a bigger aspect of cost over the life of a contract than purchase price). So if you are going to buy a more expensive product, there should be a reason.

Those reasons exist, but not for every single buyer.

Reasons to Buy Where You Want to Stay

There are some resorts, seasons and villa types where you need the 11 month booking window. These include
  • VGC at all times
  • HHI during the summer
  • VB during the summer, or if you consistently want the 3 bedroom cottages
  • Any particular resort during Christmas, New Year's, July 4 etc. (You will get a resort for these times at 7 months, but you won't have choice)
  • BLT cheap view and some other times
  • AKV Value or Concierge (any time)
  • OKW GVs
  • BCV and BWV during Food and Wine

I'm not saying that outside of these examples you will always find availability at 7 months. Nor am I saying the converse, that these will never be available at 7 months. And I'm not saying this list is closed. But there are some more "in demand" times/villas/locations than others, and the above are situations in which you will often want/need the 11 month booking window.

So, a good reason to buy where you want to stay is:

1. You need the 11 month booking window
2. You can plan ahead and have the ability to use an 11 month booking window.

2. Emotional Reasons

Some people worry more than others. Some people love to plan and being unable to book where they want would make them do this: Some people are committed to only one resort, or only a couple of resorts, and would be really unhappy if they stayed somewhere else. For these people too, buying where they want to stay is good advice.

Reasons to Buy Where It is Cheapest

If you are a last minute planner, or are consistently looking for something that is generally available (if OKW is your favourite, or if you want AKV Savannah, and you have no intention of travelling in the holidays), there is no need to pay a premium for specialty points.

2. Emotional Reasons

If you like all the resorts and don't have a need to stay in only one or two places or if you would be happy to stay at your home resort, but are willing to see what's available at 7 months, then buying where it is cheapest may fit your temperment. To put it another way, "buy where you want to stay" only makes sense if you have a singular "where you want to stay". Likewise, if you like the idea of getting a good deal, buying where it is cheapest may meet your needs.

3. Economic Reasons

If money is an issue, then I think you owe it to yourself to really figure out how many points you can buy and maintain at different places. Despite all the advice above, even if you would really prefer BCV because you want Food and Wine, if you can only afford enough points for 4 nights a year in a studio in Dream Season, you might actually prefer to buy somewhere less expensive and get enough points for 8 or 9 nights.

Two final points:

1. Someone will likely say, in reference to the discussion about times of travel, that you can't predict what your travel patterns will be in the future. I think that may be true (although some people simply know because of their professions that they can't book with 11 months notice) but I also think some people's preferences about resort and villa types may change as well.

2. The reason I react to "buy where you want to stay" as the always best advice is because it suggests that people think that I, or anyone who bought where it was cheapest, made a bad decision. I don't think I have made a bad decision, for me. I got more points than I would have gotten at a more expensive resort, and I've had fantastic luck getting into many resorts at 7 months. Both approaches can be valid.

nice synopsis. I definitely dont buy where I want to stay in general as I want to stay at every resort. Before I get bashed I do own at BLT and VWL. I got my VWL very cheap and the next time I buy resale I will be looking for a cost comparison of cheap points vs. maintenance fees over time.
jedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #15
bakerworld
Grand Villa

Based on our travel history up to 2008 we probably are fine with our present pt total.

BUT we became hardwired into F&W so where we purchase next is a 'given' - which is why my first priority is location - which moved us into the next 'season' and drives the rest of my choices. Therefore, its more important we understand the pt total we NEED as the MF's are another 'given' factor.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #16
OttawaMum
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaWendy View Post
AND, we like SSR. If they restrict us to home resort in the future, we'll be disappointed not to get to stay other places, but, we'll still be happy when we're at WDW.

Quote:

I agree with you in part.

I think UY is unimportant for the majority of people and should only be a high consideration for some folks. But, for us, because I'm a teacher, whenever I'm working we can only travel at certain times of the year. Thus, by having UYs that correspond to those travel times we still have most of a year to use our points if we end up having to cancel for some reason.

So, if your occupation controls when you can travel, then UY may be important. (But, we do own 2 UYs and I haven't found that as hard to manage as some people seem to think it should be.)

I agree with you on Loaded vs. Stripped, though I tend to analyze it a whole lot more looking at overall cost/point received considering possible inflationary increases on MFs due to historical record and age of resort. (I might overthink it, but, I tend to think we did well financially on our previous purchases.)
OttawaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #17
mditkof
Two Bedroom

UY makes a difference in the resale market based on timing. If you buy in March , then a June use year will get you points quicker than a Dec use year all else being equal.

For us, price being low enough to be fair and high enough to pass ROFR is the one over riding issue given that only OKW points are acceptable.

Marty
mditkof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #18
crushturtle
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedwards View Post
1. Use Year
2. Price
3. Number of points
4. Maintenance Fee of specific location
5. Broker
Agree
crushturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #19
OttawaMum
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mditkof View Post
UY makes a difference in the resale market based on timing. If you buy in March , then a June use year will get you points quicker than a Dec use year all else being equal.
Only if you are buying stripped contracts. Personally, I wouldn't want to buy a June UY in March because you'd be putting your current points at risk if things didn't move quickly enough.

(I did buy a Dec UY in Sept though because it was loaded with current and banked points and the sellers accepted the argument that those points wouldn't be useable and accepted an offer as if it was a stripped contract. So, we took the gamble and got lucky enough to manage to rent those points right before they expired. But, in general, if I were looking to have points quickly, I'd just look for a non-stripped contract.)

Now, in the modern era of direct purchases where they don't give out current points, buying a June UY in Mar would get you points faster than buying a Dec UY in Mar. But, seriously, the idea that they no longer give out current UY points in direct purchases just strikes me as ridiculous.
OttawaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #20
jedwards
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mditkof View Post

For us, price being low enough to be fair and high enough to pass ROFR is the one over riding issue given that only OKW points are acceptable.

Marty
UY matters IF you already have one use year. I do not want the hassle of two different use years and therefore two different memberships.
jedwards is offline   Reply With Quote