home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #41
beansprout
Grand Villa

I'm confused, nothing new right???! Being curious about the points for any one year always adding up to the same total at one resort, I chose to add the points at SSR for the year of 2012. That amount would be the same if I add the points on the 2013 point chart for SSR, right? I' m getting a difference of 163 points. If 2012 were the higher number I would have blamed it on leap year, but the higher total was in 2013. What is the formula DVC uses? I could have added wrong, maybe someone could check my math, or explain why the amount of points for those two years don't equal.
beansprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #42
Carol
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansprout View Post
I'm confused, nothing new right???! Being curious about the points for any one year always adding up to the same total at one resort, I chose to add the points at SSR for the year of 2012. That amount would be the same if I add the points on the 2013 point chart for SSR, right?

It's not that simple.

You have to take the number of rooms in each booking category into account.

You also have to account for the different number of weekday and weekend nights between years. I've been told that they use a base year, but I do not know what that is or if it is even the same year for all resorts. I'm pretty sure it's 1991 for OKW, though.

Also, you have to know how they account for the lock off units. Do they count them as a 2 bedrooms or as studios & 1 bedrooms or do they use some of each? Each method will result in a different total.

I don't think there is any way for us to check up on DVC in this area without knowing the exact formula & method they use. However, they do get audited every year and I believe we would know if the auditors found that they were in violation.

I choose to trust them on this. If I thought I couldn't, then I would sell.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #43
RahRah
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedwards View Post
So which went down? They cannot make one go up without another going down.
Total points for all weeks and villas can't change - but if they've reallocated units to less point value (MK view to LV or either to SV), than they'll all go up in the lower categories!

RahRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #44
beansprout
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
It's not that simple.

You have to take the number of rooms in each booking category into account.

You also have to account for the different number of weekday and weekend nights between years. I've been told that they use a base year, but I do not know what that is or if it is even the same year for all resorts. I'm pretty sure it's 1991 for OKW, though.

Also, you have to know how they account for the lock off units. Do they count them as a 2 bedrooms or as studios & 1 bedrooms or do they use some of each? Each method will result in a different total.

I don't think there is any way for us to check up on DVC in this area without knowing the exact formula & method they use. However, they do get audited every year and I believe we would know if the auditors found that they were in violation.

I choose to trust them on this. If I thought I couldn't, then I would sell.
Thanks Carol, I thought of how many weekend days vs. weekdays but found the difference to be high. I took seasons into consideration but at that point it was hard to keep straight. I didn't add the points for any other resorts. Wonder if they all fluctuate by close to the same amount. Interesting...
beansprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #45
RahRah
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post

If you book a 2-bedroom, the points are for a 2-bedroom whether it's a lock-off or dedicated unit; you only get charged 1-bedroom + studio if you book as a 1-Bedroom + studio.

RahRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #46
bookworm
Studio

There is a base year for each resort, and the points based on that year calender can not change. This prevents issues of leap years and years that have have more weekend days

bookwormde
bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #47
lovindisney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansprout View Post
I'm confused, nothing new right???! Being curious about the points for any one year always adding up to the same total at one resort, I chose to add the points at SSR for the year of 2012. That amount would be the same if I add the points on the 2013 point chart for SSR, right? I' m getting a difference of 163 points. If 2012 were the higher number I would have blamed it on leap year, but the higher total was in 2013. What is the formula DVC uses? I could have added wrong, maybe someone could check my math, or explain why the amount of points for those two years don't equal.
163 point difference seems unreasonable

And, if there is higher demand for the tree houses, why not build more?

Proud owner of AKV, BCV, BLT, SSR & VGF
lovindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #48
gregdvc
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedwards View Post
Nevermind, TomandRobin answered the question on a different post. The total number of points stayed the same because they allocated more rooms to be standard view.

From the website:

The adjustments to the Bay Lake Tower chart stem from a scheduled reassignment of 10 rooms from Theme Park View to Standard View effective Jan. 1, 2013. This shift is based on Member and Guest feedback, and is designed to better reflect the rooms' views. At Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, the Vacation Points required for Treehouse Villas are increasing based on high Member demand.

Increases and decreases within these two Resorts' charts keep the total number of Vacation Points for each Resort unchanged
OK, I am confused by this. So because they have reassigned rooms from theme park view to standard view is the cause of the increase to standard? So shouldn't that mean the theme park view go down? If they are saying since there is an increase in inventory to standard view rooms can increase the point pool then what would happen if they did an expansion to Bay Lake Tower years from now and added 100 more rooms? Can they then increase the point base? That is a complete surprise to me. As for the Treehouse increase due to member demand??? That completely reverse to what I was sold on.
gregdvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #49
ovalhead96
Grand Villa

Default It's more of an overall point total

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdvc View Post
OK, I am confused by this. So because they have reassigned rooms from theme park view to standard view is the cause of the increase to standard? So shouldn't that mean the theme park view go down? If they are saying since there is an increase in inventory to standard view rooms can increase the point pool then what would happen if they did an expansion to Bay Lake Tower years from now and added 100 more rooms? Can they then increase the point base? That is a complete surprise to me. As for the Treehouse increase due to member demand??? That completely reverse to what I was sold on.
It's an overall point total rather than comparing points by category. If they make 100 magic kingdom rooms into standard, and the point diff was 20, they have to blend the lower 2000 points between all the categories. I know it wasn't 100 rooms, but I did it this way for easy math.