home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Community Hole > Community Hall POLLS
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Android vs. iPhone: Which One Should I Choose?
Android 33 48.53%
iPhone 35 51.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #111
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
As I said, was just curious about why you need voice and data at the same time. I have not and was wanting to know the circumstances where it was vital to you.

I am fairly new (month now) to "smart"phones so I am learning the ropes as I go but I am a pretty fast learner. Honestly I would rather ask yall than my granddaughters You know, can't show weakness
I use it to look up movie times while talking to someone or check some other tidbit. It's not a deal breaker, but once you know you can do it, you get frustrated when you want to and can't.

You're right about it being a CDMA thing and not Verizon or iPhone. I read somewhere that was suppose to be changed in Spring, but it never happened.

However, as much as I've defended AT&T, it turns out I just live in a perfect service bubble. When we traveled through the Carolinas and Georgia, whole counties were AT&T dead zones but had great Verizon coverage.

When iPhone 5 comes out, I'm switching to Verizon.

Dirk
Old 07-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #112
rdetoma
Grand Villa

Usually talking and wanting to access an app or look something up.

Quote:
As I said, was just curious about why you need voice and data at the same time. I have not and was wanting to know the circumstances where it was vital to you.

I am fairly new (month now) to "smart"phones so I am learning the ropes as I go but I am a pretty fast learner. Honestly I would rather ask yall than my granddaughters You know, can't show weakness

NDD #157

My April 2010 BWV Trip Report

My Nov 2010 SSR Trip Report

My April 2011 Easter Split Stay BCV & BWV

My Oct 2011 Kidani/MNSSHP Trip

My April 2012 Cruise/Parks trip

My Oct 2012 BWV/MNSSHP Trip

"I've done that whole 'inator' thing before. It's just been done to death. "
rdetoma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #113
Kickapoo Joie Juice
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChisoxGreg View Post
I have had an android for about a year, the only time it is a problem is if I am trying to give someone directions and can't access the google maps at the same time. So for me it would be nice but only needed 2-3 times in past year.
I can always tell when somebody is talking to me and looking at their phone/computer/tablet. It's like they're half there. I usually hang up on them, then pretend the phone dropped the signal. Heh.

So far my biggest complaint with the smartphone is that I get makeup all over the screen when I hold it to my face to talk when I forget to have the earbuds plugged in (along with being a germophobe, I'm a radiation-o-phobe, too).

I bought the girls some sweet Skullcandy earbuds that they use on the rare occasions they're talking on their phones-it's all texting with them .

DH 46 Me 44 DD 15 DD 14

Trip Reports
Kickapoo Joie Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #114
Wolfie
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdetoma View Post
Usually talking and wanting to access an app or look something up.
I wonder if there are different forms of data? I have been talking and used navigation to enter an address and it looked it up and started the directions. I have also used places nearby and gas buddy while talking.

I wonder if they are using cached data or other methods of acquiring data while in a voice call.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #115
rdetoma
Grand Villa

Good question. I always assumed anything other than voice was data, like apps that use location services or web browsing.

Quote:
I wonder if there are different forms of data? I have been talking and used navigation to enter an address and it looked it up and started the directions. I have also used places nearby and gas buddy while talking.

I wonder if they are using cached data or other methods of acquiring data while in a voice call.

NDD #157

My April 2010 BWV Trip Report

My Nov 2010 SSR Trip Report

My April 2011 Easter Split Stay BCV & BWV

My Oct 2011 Kidani/MNSSHP Trip

My April 2012 Cruise/Parks trip

My Oct 2012 BWV/MNSSHP Trip

"I've done that whole 'inator' thing before. It's just been done to death. "
rdetoma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #116
PecosBill
Grand Villa

I have an android and my wife has a iPhone both on the Sprint Network. We found that the coverage on WDW property sucks for the Sprint network. So Mobile Magic, Facebook, and other apps sucked at the park.

They need to implement park wide (property wide) free Wi-Fi!

When it comes to android vs. iPhone, I miss my iDen (Nextel) Blackberry.
PecosBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #117
eileenkeeney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdetoma View Post
Good question. I always assumed anything other than voice was data, like apps that use location services or web browsing.
Everything, including voice, can be data.

But as far as a data plan goes, it only includes data that has to download to your phone from the internet, or upload from your phone to the internet.

I might be wrong, but I am over 85% sure I am correct.
eileenkeeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #118
eileenkeeney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW1 View Post
I vote iPhone for ease of use and security of apps. Android had a huge app-hack debacle recently in which bad dudes wrote seemingly innocent apps (solitaire, calculators, language translatores, etc.) that hacked into tens of thousands of phones. The open software of Android makes it less expensive, but much more prone to crap like this.

I vote for android for the same reason you vote against it.

However, if I did not have any desire to write a few of my own apps, I might be more inclined to at least consider iphone.

I find the iphone process, for installing my own apps, onto my own phone, to be a bit restrictive.
But for the end user, I do understand the attraction to the iphone.

I actually have my sights set on a razor maxx right now. But I do not like the way Verizon charges an existing customer $200 more than a new customer.
I do not like the way Verizon forces one to have a data plan just to use the phone.
If I want to cancel my data plan at the end of my contract, I want the phone to still work as a dumb phone, along with having all non internet dependent smart phone features continue to work.

Does anyone know of a smart phone, that runs android, that has a carrier, that will allow one to cancel the data plan (after the contract period) and still use the non internet dependent features of the phone?
eileenkeeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #119
knateb
Studio

IPhone. And you can surf and talk on VZ iPhone4!
knateb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #120
jras81
Two Bedroom

Iphone. Because it's just better.

Next Visit: Halloween 2014 at The Grand Floridian Villas!!!
Recent Visits: Sep 13 Bay Lake Tower, Oct 12 Bay Lake Tower, Nov 11 Saratoga Springs, Sep 11 Aulani, Dec 10 Bay Lake Tower, AUG 09 Bay Lake Tower, Mar 09 WL, Sep 08 OKW, Nov 07 DL Paris, Oct 06 WDW Pop Century
BLT DVC Member Since April 2009

jras81 is offline   Reply With Quote